Hollywood and fashion, cosmetics and diet industries work hard to make each of us believe that our bodies are unacceptable and need constant improvement. TV shows tell women and teenage girls that plastic surgery is good for self-esteem. Does that tell you kuwaiti women have low self-esteem? Everyone wants the perfect look! is that any wonder that more than 80% of young teenage girls have been on some form of diet!!
Women and girls spend millions of KDd every year on cosmetics, fashion, magazines and diet aids trying to reach impossible standards! Perfect bodies are every where on Printed ads and TV commercials.. how much does is affect you? and how far could it go?
Some offensive ads :
Winston tries to convince young women how tough and cool they can be by smoking while waiting for a man. Hope he arrives soon...before lung cancer sets in.
What is it about selling alcohol that makes advertisers want to belittle and insult women...does it really make men feel more powerful? Don't answer that.
This is an ad for luggage, right? And the nearly naked bronzed woman is there because...? When creativity fails, insert sex!!
and don't make me start about Arabs ads and commercials.. so pathetic and they give bad images of arabs life and mentality and the way women are beeing treated. It's 2005 for crying out loud! anyway, back to our subject..
What can you do?
- Learn how to love your body
- Create your own possitive standard
- learn more about how advertising affects women's health, body image and self-esteem.
- Make a pact with yourself to treat your body with respect
- Give yourself a break from women's magazines and the mass media
- Try a new physical activity just for fun, not to lose weight
- Stop weighing yourself
- Change your goal from weight loss to improving your health.
*Love your body*